Search

011 | The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner

Updated: Jul 12


Peter Pan. The Fountain of Youth. Botox. It’s 2020, and everyone seems to have caught the bug. We have an obsession. Everyone's looking for the same magic pill... the pill that will reverse the aging process. Of course, it's yet to be found.


What if instead of looking for ways to undo our aging, we looked for ways to prevent it from happening in the first place? In Dan Buettner’s New York Times bestselling book, The Blue Zones, he and his team of world class experts set out to do just that.


As part of a worldwide National Geographic study, Buettner went on a quest to find groups of people that lived extremely long and healthy lives, and more importantly, to find out what they were doing differently than their western counterparts.

Buettner and his team discovered small pockets of the globe that had a disproportionate number of centenarians (100-year-olds) in their population, and they wanted to know why. Was there a mutation to their genetic code? Was there something in the water? Buettner and his team hit the road and visited all those hot spots, but not before taking a big blue sharpie and circling them on their map on the wall. And thus, the Blue Zones were born.

“Scientific studies show that only about 25 percent of how long we live is dictated by genes,” says Buettner. “The other 75 percent is determined by our lifestyles and the everyday choices we make.”

“If you can optimize your lifestyle,” he continues, “you may gain back an extra decade of good life you’d otherwise miss.”

But how do we optimize our lifestyle? What were these blue zone centenarians doing that the general population wasn’t?

A lot.

Actually, not really. The truth of the matter is, while the Blue Zone lifestyle might look completely different from that of typical Americans, the changes we'd have to make to become like them are actually quite small. A little more of this, a little less of that…

In the Sardinian Blue Zone, they said to take a walk, laugh more, and drink goat’s milk. In the Okinawan Blue Zone, their secret was to enjoy the sunshine, eat plants from your own garden, and sit on the floor.

Loma Linda. Costa Rica. Greece. In blue zones all over the world, Buettner studied people with different languages, different cuisines, different customs, and different skin tones, and yet, he found that each indigenous group held a few of the same things in common. The secret lifestyle of a centenarian. He learned to...

1) Move more.

2) Eat less.

3) Veggies, veggies, veggies.

4) Drink wine.

5) Know your purpose.

6) Relax.

7) Find community.

8) Love your family.

9) Surround yourself with other centenarians.

So, do you want to live longer? Do you want to optimize however much time you have left on this earth? Then grab a big blue sharpie of your own and draw a nice, double-wide circle around Dan Buettner's The Blue Zones.

Who knows? If you play your cards right and listen to what it says, you might just have 100 years to read it.

___



Want a FREE copy of The Blue Zones? The first person to post a comment below wins! If you're our lucky winner, a few days later it'll be at your door!

Here's a link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Second-Lessons-Longest/dp/1426209487/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1IZ89J935LET1&dchild=1&keywords=the+blue+zones&qid=1593208598&sprefix=the+blue+zone%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-3

41 views1 comment
 
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

©2020 The Wheatley Reader